Wednesday, October 22, 2014

New York, New York

In January, I will move to New York City and take up a position as Associate Professor at New York University (to be more specific in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Polytechnic School of Engineering).

I am extremely excited about this. I'll be joining a growing games programme at NYU, and will be affiliated with the Media and Games Network (MAGNET) and the NYU Game Center. My new department wrote a short story about my arrival, which emphasises my work in procedural content generation and interdisciplinary collaborations. This is also my plan - continue my current main research directions (PCG, general video game playing, player modelling, game generation) while also starting new collaborative projects with the excellent people at NYU.

My five and a half years at ITU have been excellent and I've learned a lot from my amazing colleagues and developed as a researcher. I'd like to point out that I'm not moving in order to leave ITU. I'm moving because it is time to move on and seek new challenges and opportunities, and because of all the great people I will work with here and the great city I will be living in.

Maybe you want to come here as well? I am looking for two new PhD students, to start in September. You need to apply soon. And you should definitely mail me first to discuss research proposal ideas. (Hint: have a look at some of my recent papers to see what my current research interests are; these include general video game playing/generation and mixed-initiative PCG.) More information about the procedure can be found here.

No comments: